The purpose of the scholarship is to support travel and study abroad in Laos and/or any of the following countries: Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam, and the Philippines. It is uniquely available to undergraduate students at Arizona State University. The Sage Family Southeast Asian Studies Scholarship is a tribute to William W. Sage’s interest in and lifelong work in Laos and Southeast Asia and is provided in loving memory and honor of his parents, Lloyd G. and Twyla M. Sage.
To apply for the scholarship, please read the eligibility requirements carefully. Recipients must manage their own arrangements for travel and accommodations. Completion of the application form must ensure the applicant meets the eligibility requirements.
- Students of all majors are invited to apply. Some prior study of Southeast Asia at ASU is preferred, but not required.
- Applicants must be enrolled as a full-time, undergraduate student at the time of application and have completed at least 56 semester hours or four (4) semesters of study.
- Applicants agree by signing the application from that, if awarded the scholarship, they will: 1) submit, within three months of completing the scholarship, a trip report of approximately six pages (c2,000 words) reflecting on their travel and experience or, alternatively, a video report of equal substance; and 2) make at least one public or classroom presentation at ASU about their experiences; 3)possess or acquire travel insurance through ASU Travel registration.
- Applicant agrees by signing this form to: 1) apply for and receive a Passport; 2) abide by the laws of the countries in which they may travel; 3) comply with the Arizona Board of Regents Student Code of Conduct; and 4) enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) recommended by the ASU Study Abroad Office.
- Financial need is not required. It is suggested that students inquire at the ASU Financial Aid Office if there is a question as to whether receiving this scholarship will impact their financial aid.
- The completed Sage Family Southeast Asian Studies Scholarship application form.
- The applicant’s name should appear at the top of each page.
- A copy of a transcript that includes grades from your most recently completed semester (unofficial copies are acceptable).
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from professionals/professors who can attest to the potential for success in academics at ASU and the character of the applicant. Each letter should be written on letterhead stationery and submitted to Asia@asu.edu with Sage Scholarship in the subject line.
- Transcripts or letters of recommendation being sent under separate cover must also adhere to the deadline of February 29, 2024.
- Applications may not be faxed. The application may be submitted electronically to Asia@asu.edu (with Sage Scholarship on the subject line)
- The application form and all required attachments must be submitted by February 29, 2024.